When life gives you puppies and tofu…
Here is the tropical, cheap, bush-version of my baking hero‘s recipe. Rich, cheese-cake like, and completely satisfying.
Easy Baked Vegan Tofu&Coconut Milk [cheese]Cake
- 3 cubes silky tofu
- 3/4c santan kelapa (coconut milk)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (or a dash of strawberry topping&cocoa if you are out of vanilla)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (for extra creaminess)
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice, plus more to taste
- small pinch of salt
- 125g (1 small pack) Marie Biscuits
- 4 Tbsp (60 g) coconut oil, melted
- Preheat your oven (mine doesn’t have any way to control the temp, so just guess)
- Blend the marie biscuits &oil. Squish into the bottom of the pie plate.
- Bake for about 15min while you prepare the filling.
- In a blender, add tofu, coconut milk, cornstarch, sugar, vanilla, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt. Blend on high until creamy!
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity, lemon zest for tartness, salt for flavor balance, and sugar for sweetness.
- Pour filling over the pre-baked crust.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the edges look very slightly dry and the center appears only slightly “jiggly” but not liquidy. When you shake it, it will have some give to it, but it shouldn’t all look liquid – only the center should jiggle.
- Let rest for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- If you are blessed with a refridgerator, chill and then serve, with a splash of “strawberry topping”. If you don’t have one like me, then serve warm. This cake will stay safe until the next morning as well, here in the tropics.